<shitpost>We should shutdown this whole subforum</shitpost>

#3 Den Ryer

Den Ryer

Grand Master Post

• Guest.Veteran
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 10:12 PM

In a desire to not shit up the other threads where this topic gets brought up a lot, I'll just leave this here.

The rise of LoL definitely contributed heavily to my decline in EvE.  Logging into Mumble, and finding a couple people hanging, and 4 others in the LoL channel, and not much else going on, definitely drove me to quit logging into Mumble as often.  Having said that, I wish we could stop throwing these barely veiled generalized jabs at a very small and specific group of people.  It's passive aggressive bullshit, and it needs to stop.  We are NOT better off if those people not only stop playing EVE, but also stop hanging out in our Mumble.  And...shocker...that's what will happen if we make them feel unwelcome.  So how about we don't do that?  They're our corp mates ffs, and I don't think anybody wants to see them go.  You can't force them to play EVE, so your only other choice is to force them to stop using our Mumble, or find some way to suck it up.

Posted Image

#4 Colin Crendraven

Colin Crendraven

PWWNy

• Guest.Veteran
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 10:39 PM

Den you obviously don't know my humor and didn't know I was joking. I know this is a tense time, but try to keep calm man.

#5 Den Ryer

Den Ryer

Grand Master Post

• Guest.Veteran
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 10:45 PM

You're right Colin, I didn't realize you were joking but that wasn't aimed exclusively at you.  It keeps coming up, and there's a number of people saying it.  I assure you I'm perfectly calm, but I believe what I wrote, and I'm standing by it.  I feel like if we don't air out some of this dirty laundry, the rest of it is just gonna be an exercise in frustration.

Posted Image

#6 Bowervvick

Bowervvick

Mr. Gif

• Director
  • 816 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 12:52 AM

i have dirty laundry to air.

once, i stole a penta kill.

I'm really sorry

#7 Rhistuul

Rhistuul

PWWNy

• PWWNy
  • 392 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 12 February 2014 - 01:04 AM

To defuse tension, please enjoy this relaxing video of Michael Jackson's 'Billie Jean' played on six floppy and two hard disks.

UvUm5gs.png

#8 Indy Indy

Indy Indy

Holy Postmaster

• PWWNy
  • 745 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 01:28 AM

Den if there is LoL chat happening ask people to move it to another channel.  I know you think we should all be playing eve all the time but we really don't have a whole lot to do in eve besides ship spin -- hence we play other games.

To say leave mumble to only people that play Eve is a little much -- most of us that play a variety of games have helped fund mumble and our forums and actually do as much as we can in Eve with the little bit of resource and content we have available to us.

And fuck you Bower -- stealing pentas is a bannable offense.

#9 Obe-Wan Kenobi

Obe-Wan Kenobi

HR Director

• Director
  • 720 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 02:01 AM

You know what's even better Indy?  That the guy he stole the penta from had the chance to do it to him...and yet let him have the penta.

How about that karma, yeah that's right

Posted Image

#10 Den Ryer

Den Ryer

Grand Master Post

• Guest.Veteran
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 02:03 AM

Den if there is LoL chat happening ask people to move it to another channel.  I know you think we should all be playing eve all the time but we really don't have a whole lot to do in eve besides ship spin -- hence we play other games.

To say leave mumble to only people that play Eve is a little much -- most of us that play a variety of games have helped fund mumble and our forums and actually do as much as we can in Eve with the little bit of resource and content we have available to us.

And fuck you Bower -- stealing pentas is a bannable offense.

Read my post again please buddy.  :)

Posted Image

#11 Bowervvick

Bowervvick

Mr. Gif

• Director
  • 816 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 03:29 AM

Read my post again please buddy.   :)

Don't call me buddy, pal. But, I read your post correctly the first time -- the thing is half the time people are complaining that people are talking about FOTM/LoL in main channel, other times it's what you said. So don't be to hard on Indy... plus, I bet he had a lot of water to drink tonight. 

I think the preference is for people to take other-games/conversations to other channels -- but stay accessible . If you want to do an eve thing, drop by in the channel and say something. Unless people are just getting in something before they call it a night, I know I'm happy to swap over. 

#12 Indy Indy

Indy Indy

Holy Postmaster

• PWWNy
  • 745 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 04:14 AM

Read my post again please buddy.   :)

I did miss read it a bit I think --  at first and even second read it sounded like you wanted people that didnt play eve enough to get out -- on third read -- i see you are sticking up for the Ponywaffe community as a whole --- and telling the people being passive about not liking us using mumble for everything to get bent.

My apologies and agreements with you sir --

and that was a sober post bower!

#13 Den Ryer

Den Ryer

Grand Master Post

• Guest.Veteran
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 05:52 AM

I did miss read it a bit I think --  at first and even second read it sounded like you wanted people that didnt play eve enough to get out -- on third read -- i see you are sticking up for the Ponywaffe community as a whole --- and telling the people being passive about not liking us using mumble for everything to get bent.

My apologies and agreements with you sir --

and that was a sober post bower!

My apologies for not being clearer.  :)

Posted Image

#14 Yakumo Chidori

Yakumo Chidori

On an extended EVE break

• Guest.Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,734 posts
  • LocationThe Fatherland

Posted 12 February 2014 - 07:24 AM

Thanks for splitting off my post.

The last game that tried to kill PWWN was World of Tanks, with exactly the same symptoms as the LoL-craze is exhibiting now.

Anyone else remembers the fun we managers and directors had back then, trying to herd people into the gaming subchannels because coordinating assaults etc. over main mumble tended to shut out completely any other generalized chat in main mumble and led to people not coming onto mumble at all, as they had no interest in WoT and wanted to talk about EVE or RL stuff or ANYTHING but WoT, which they could not, because 5 minutes into the discussion someone went "OMG KV1 OVER THE RIDGE NEED BACKUP!!!!".

We had two simple rules back then:

- PWWN is an EVE corp first and foremost

- Short coordination for other games in main chat is cool but if you go tactical and all "flank left flank left, attack this dude, cover me!" you were asked to move to a different channel (or I plain moved people)

Of course I and others who tried to enforce those rules got called Modzis etc., so if you cannot tank that, welp.

Solution for keeping both main chat and gaming chat connected so people can chat about EVE or other things together: link the channels, use whisper if you want to talk about tactics.

The solution is up there, all it takes is a bit of personal discipline to move yourself and your buddies to a linked subchannel and the odd moderator who has the balls to tell people to move themselves if they go too tactical in main chat.

CzWTkU4.png

#15 Petal Asanari

Petal Asanari

PWWNy

• Guest.Veteran
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • Locationsomewhere cold atm

Posted 12 February 2014 - 08:08 AM

lol is a horrible game. At least play dota instead or something

#16 Viona Cesaille

Viona Cesaille

PWWNy

• Guest.Veteran
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 10:59 AM

Dota 2 is free too heheh

Didn't like dota/lol-ish style of gameplay though, my last hit sucks biiig time

Wheeeeee~

#17 Kordran Ke'Azir

Kordran Ke'Azir

PWWNy

• Staff
  • 540 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 12 February 2014 - 01:48 PM

I'm only bitter because I'm so shit at DOTA2/LoL/etc

Posted Image

#18 Gennosuke Kouga

Gennosuke Kouga

Worse Than Mint At Spelling

• Guest.Veteran
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 02:53 PM

The last game that tried to kill PWWN was World of Tanks, with exactly the same symptoms as the LoL-craze is exhibiting now.

Anyone else remembers the fun we managers and directors had back then, trying to herd people into the gaming subchannels because coordinating assaults etc. over main mumble tended to shut out completely any other generalized chat in main mumble and led to people not coming onto mumble at all, as they had no interest in WoT and wanted to talk about EVE or RL stuff or ANYTHING but WoT, which they could not, because 5 minutes into the discussion someone went "OMG KV1 OVER THE RIDGE NEED BACKUP!!!!".

- Short coordination for other games in main chat is cool but if you go tactical and all "flank left flank left, attack this dude, cover me!" you were asked to move to a different channel (or I plain moved people)

Of course I and others who tried to enforce those rules got called Modzis etc., so if you cannot tank that, welp.

Solution for keeping both main chat and gaming chat connected so people can chat about EVE or other things together: link the channels, use whisper if you want to talk about tactics.

The solution is up there, all it takes is a bit of personal discipline to move yourself and your buddies to a linked subchannel and the odd moderator who has the balls to tell people to move themselves if they go too tactical in main chat.

These were dark days, the fate of Ponywaffe hung in the balance. Just goes to prove the old space mariner saying, "All of this has happened before, and it will all happen again."

I will modz you all.

Posted Image

#19 Hindrance Mercer

Hindrance Mercer

Mercer, HindErance Mercer

• Guest.Veteran
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 504 posts
  • LocationWest Coast Baby

Posted 14 February 2014 - 10:05 AM

Oh Den... I read that shit wrong too... Text comms suck ASS, my bad.

#20 Andy Koraka

Andy Koraka

PWWNy

• Guest.Veteran
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 10:27 PM

- Short coordination for other games in main chat is cool but if you go tactical and all "flank left flank left, attack this dude, cover me!" you were asked to move to a0 different channel (or I plain moved people)

For the most part the folks playing LoL are self-moderating and move down to a channel if a discussion is going on, the issue is that leaves 3 people in the main channel and the conversation dies off, then people either leave the server or move down to the LoL channel.