#1 Yakumo Chidori

Yakumo Chidori

On an extended EVE break

• Guest.Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,734 posts
  • LocationThe Fatherland

Posted 02 November 2013 - 09:14 PM

Spreadsheets in space are so 2012, let's go with spreadsheets in history... ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXrDO1FMT04
Swedish supremacy!!!!

I've picked up EU III with a Paradox Humble Bundle a couple of months back and loved the hell out of that game for quite a while. First played as England, tried to bitchslap France, got owned by its doomstack armies, successfully blockaded all of their ports with my navy (yeah, should have done that from the start) after losing all my continental possessions, force-annexed all of the British Isles, got to North America before anyone else (1430ish or something) after successfully taking Iceland and Oslo from the dirty Norwegians, colonized ALL of North and Middle America as well as the Caribbean by 1600 except for the area around New York which was Portuguese (my dear allies) and stopped playing there. Then got my face handed to me while trying to play as Japan and Savoy, owned Eastern The Fatherland and Poland while playing Prussia etc... :P

Anyway, loved it so much that I decided to upgrade to Europa Universalis IV today, as EVE is currently completely boring and I needed another insanely complicated spreadsheet game to fulfill my Germanic cravings for efficiency and world domination.

Any other nerds out there playing? Think I am going to start as England again to get used to the different mechanics to EU III (seriously, easiest country to play, strong from the onset, just turtle up behind your wooden wall, become a major trade power, start colonizing, ignore most of Europe). After that, perhaps the Prussian predecessors again... Or Bavaria?

Stumbled over this youtube playlist which is an insanely helpful collection of short explanations of different mechanics, something Paradox is traditionally terrible at. ;)

The community for this game seems to be amazing, loads and loads of helpful videos and mods to expand and polish the game.

CzWTkU4.png

#2 Indy Indy

Indy Indy

Holy Postmaster

• PWWNy
  • 745 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 09:57 PM

I was looking at this but not sure on it yet.

#3 Rhistuul

Rhistuul

PWWNy

• PWWNy
  • 392 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 02 November 2013 - 10:00 PM

This game is insanely fucking complex. I've messed around with it a bit but holy spreadsheets, Batman.

That said, playing as the Ottoman empire and bringing Europe to its knees under the iron rule of Sharia law was kind of satisfying, in a crazy right-wing-fever-dream sort of way.

UvUm5gs.png

#4 Pyotr Kamarovi

Pyotr Kamarovi

Bruce loves male chickens hard!

• Guest.Veteran
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 03 November 2013 - 04:00 AM

This game isn't really all that complicated, especially as Paradox games go, it just takes some getting used to. Games like Victoria 2 and the Hearts of Iron series are far more complicated, such that I feel like I'm staring at a wall and not a game whenever I attempt to play them.

#5 Yakumo Chidori

Yakumo Chidori

On an extended EVE break

• Guest.Validating
  • 4,734 posts
  • LocationThe Fatherland

Posted 03 November 2013 - 10:49 AM

Well, one thing is true for all games of that series, it is a complete sandbox, so you have to make up your own goals. Sure, there are selectable missions to help you shortterm wise, but for medium to longterm goals you will have to think up your own ideas. Like as Rhistuul said, own all of Europe as the Ottomans, or succesfully take Paris as Prussia or England, take over China as Japan, unite India as one of their small countries and then go on to take over England and colonize the US, things like that. Completely up to you. :)

Also the "one more turn!" bug is biting already (although it is technically not a turn based game...).

Started as France yesterday in 1444 as it was touted as beginner-friendly and England wasn't, first occupied the English territories in France and then ended the 100 years war, but could not actually annex any of the English holdings as the war was so old and drawn out that no side would budge, but at least managed to wrangle out a few coins. Then got attacked by Burgundy and in a stroke of luck managed to kill their king as he was leading an army (the fool), which plunged Burgundy into a succession crisis which led to it being wiped off the map and me and Austria sharing the spoils (although Austria hates me and is now a next-door neighbor, so I fully expect a war happening there soon). With my borders temporarily secured I decided to turn to my inner-French vassals and start diplo-annexing all of them (which is not that easy as when you annex one, the other vassals become more wary of you, making it progressively harder to string one annexation after the other). I've decided that my medium term goal shall be the unification of the French motherland, so I've decided to attack and subjugate Brittany and its 4 provinces, which fell quickly as they foolishly had not made any pacts and treaties. Sadly Brittany was slightly too large to fully annex outright so I instead took 3 of its 4 provinces in a fit of greed... Huge mistake though as I seriously overextended myself with that and got a large hit to reputation with my other neighbors as I am now viewed as overly aggressive, leading to a coalition to be formed against me, which so far includes England and Castile as well as the remnant of Brittany. No war has been declared yet, but I guess that will happen soon. Meanwhile I am diplomatically snuggling up to Provence which interestingly enough was no vassal at the start of the game as well as Liege, a Belgian predecessor. Coming up soon will be another war of aggression against England (if they don't declare it first) to take over some of their possessions like Normandy or more likely Bordeaux (as it is a trade node), I am just hoping that my rather strong land army doomstacks will manage to beat off the Castile forces to an early separate white peace so I can concentrate on the English invaders (and incidentally now fully annex Brittany). I just hope my rather poor navies can make it into port before the British Navy arrives...

And that was when I was looking up after one "let's wait for that vassal to be annexed, oh and that region to core" after another and noticed that it was 2 am. And that is everything I ever want out of a game, to completely forget what bloody time it is. ;)

Oh, and I also like the AAR culture of the EU series, great reads on their forums!

CzWTkU4.png

#6 Maleg Yanumano

Maleg Yanumano

All Southerners Sound Alike

• Guest.Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 03 November 2013 - 11:53 AM

One of my friends plays it and raves about it. I'll buy it when it goes on offer for sure.

Posted Image

#7 Indy Indy

Indy Indy

Holy Postmaster

• PWWNy
  • 745 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 05:48 PM

I might grab 3 if its cheap and see if I like the series. Sounding about as interesting as a single player game can be.

#8 Yakumo Chidori

Yakumo Chidori

On an extended EVE break

• Guest.Validating
  • 4,734 posts
  • LocationThe Fatherland

Posted 03 November 2013 - 07:39 PM

I might grab 3 if its cheap and see if I like the series. Sounding about as interesting as a single player game can be.

Definitely a good entry. EU 4 is basically a more streamlined, nicer-looking EU 3 with some of the annoying things ironed out, and as Awesome Bruce says, a bit easier to get access to. But if you like EU 3 you will also like EU 4. Same is not true with Crusader Kings 2 by the way (I think it was also in that Humble Bundle deal), for me it focuses too much on the dynasty side of things and I am not that interested in the Middle Ages timeframe and it doesn't allow you the same level of management the EU series does. EU 4 steals a few of the best things from CK 2 though, so all is good. ;)

Meanwhile I played some more this morning: Things quieted down, a lot. After I kept my head low for some years while making diplo-vassals out of Liege and some other one region minors in the Netherlands area I managed to push my technologies far ahead of the curve (there is a mechanic that makes it harder and harder to get ahead of other states around you, so no pure techrush sadly). At the same time the coalition against me slowly fell apart, so once it was down I quickly wardecced Brittany again and took their last left province inside a couple of weeks (they still hadn't formed any closer ties with anyone, the fools). The diplo-annexing of inner-French vassals continues (gonna leave the extra-France ones as vassals, as a kind of buffer), and I am slowly but surely making headway with Provence to make them my vassal too. That will only leave the English possessions on my God-given soil, so war will be inevitable. Thing is though that England is still allied with Castile, and Castile is currently curbstomping Aragon, which I hoped to keep as a Southern buffer zone, so a united and unfriendly Spain will soon have a direct land-border with me. In the meantime Austria is developing into a superpower in central Europe, nomming one minor power in the Holy Roman Empire after the other, definitely will become my main rival in the long term.

EDIT: Screenshot!

Posted Image

CzWTkU4.png

#9 Cadune Amilion

Cadune Amilion

Ex-CEO

• Guest.Veteran
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,306 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 09:45 PM

Can you tldr typical game play for me plz. CK 2 I purchased, played once and never again. Didn't understand anything.

#10 Studentay

Studentay

PWWNy

• Guest.Veteran
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 10:06 PM

Can you tldr typical game play for me plz. CK 2 I purchased, played once and never again. Didn't understand anything.

Ditto with CK2 as far too dry/boring. I got a free copy of EU3 & thought it was pretty good. It's like the campaign version of Total War without the huge fights. As I never do the fights in Total War, this is right up my street, but it does make it solely a strategy game.
MILF muzak :somuchpony:
Hexfalion: stupid boattruck
ELA Riald: What the fuck is a boattruck?
Yornic: It's a banana that's shaped like a cheesepuff that tastes like motor oil

#11 Obe-Wan Kenobi

Obe-Wan Kenobi

HR Director

• Director
  • 720 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 10:07 PM

You're making me want to get this Yak, but I honestly don't have time to learn another eve-level complexity game...is it that rough of a learning curve?
Posted Image

#12 Dave Orilian

Dave Orilian

HR Manager

• Guest.Veteran
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 10:16 PM

research longbows; engage rape :zeroniss:

#13 Yakumo Chidori

Yakumo Chidori

On an extended EVE break

• Guest.Validating
  • 4,734 posts
  • LocationThe Fatherland

Posted 03 November 2013 - 10:37 PM

Ditto with CK2 as far too dry/boring. I got a free copy of EU3 & thought it was pretty good. It's like the campaign version of Total War without the huge fights. As I never do the fights in Total War, this is right up my street, but it does make it solely a strategy game.

Rather this. A mix of Total War campaign map and any Civilization game. If you have Played Empire: Total War that is getting pretty close. Only more complicated and as Studentay said, without the tactical battles. You have to watch some youtube tutorials though otherwise it'll be hard to understand anything. And you have to like to click through some submenues to get at ledgers and graphs etc. Understanding the game mechanics is important as in any grown-up game really (not like pew pew bunny hop 180 noscope headshot CS) :P

And Obe, I guess you can play it laid back and take it easy, but if you want to expand it's gonna get complicated. ;)

Remember though, I am just starting to really play it myself.

Right, played some more hours just now and made a lot of mistakes... Managed to diplo-annex all I wanted (except Provence) and then got super greedy again and attacked England. Castile and the Lombardei as well as Novgorod (WTF?) honoured the cry for help on Englands side while I managed to grab my vassals, Provence and Savoy (both allies). After some push and shove (and managing to pay off most of England's allies so they dropped the war) I managed to occupy all of the English continental possessions, but as usual, you cannot just annex all of them (would have had to invade England itself to get enough warscore for that, and try that when the English navy is blockading all of your ports...). So just annexed 2 Englishes provinces this time and all of the Lombardei, which was a huge mistake, as it belongs to the Holy Roman Empire, which started hating on me, a lot. Right, on it goes, thought I got away with it when Savoy called me into a war with Naples, Milan and... Provence. Great I thought, perfect to grab some of their lands! And in I waded. War goes on for a few years, in the end we win and I take 2 provinces off Provence (which still kinda liked me as I was only following Savoy's orders this time). Well, lo and behold though, another coalition forms against me in the meantime. Obviously Austria, then England, then Venice and on and on it went and I was like "Uh oh" and Austria went "Uh hu!" and wardecced me in the socalled Austrian-French punitive war because I was a bad, bad landgrabbing boy... And did they ever own my face. Just look at the screenie below for all the red countries allied against me and my tiny dark green allies. Suffice it to say, my 50 regiments lasted about half a year against doomstacks of up to 100 combined regiments. Then I just hit fast forward and watched one province after the other fall. Not really end of France, but now I am crippled, lost about a quarter of my realm in outright annexation or forced release of independent nations and all diplomatic influence on my by now former vassals and allies and everybody hates me. Game over man, game over!!! :P

Posted Image

Let's see as what I will play next. ;)

CzWTkU4.png

#14 Indy Indy

Indy Indy

Holy Postmaster

• PWWNy
  • 745 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 11:58 PM

The way that game ended for you Yäk is going to make me buy this soonish -- COD comes out tomorrow night though so might be a bit.

#15 Yakumo Chidori

Yakumo Chidori

On an extended EVE break

• Guest.Validating
  • 4,734 posts
  • LocationThe Fatherland

Posted 04 November 2013 - 07:35 AM

One thing that sets EU 4 apart from EU 3 is the far better diplomacy system, you actually will know now what different things will do and have a lot of choices.

And the AI is good, really good, it actually feels like you are playing against states that don't just make random decisions but have a clear agenda and react logically to your actions. It is also great to watch things unfold on the other side of the continent, even developments that don't directly influence yourself.

In EU 3 you could more or less chose a difficulty setting, I am not certain that still exists in EU 4, and good riddance I say. Played a lot on the lower setting in EU 3 and the AI definitely was inferior then ("wait, ferrying troops with ships, oh noes, rather keep my troops trapped on the mainland!"), may be better on higher difficulty settings though.

I could go on playing as France in the setting above, work my way out of that dilemma, shift my focus on colonization efforts while slowly rebuilding a diplomatic base in Europe, nice challenge on its own, but I am eager to try out new stuff. Lesson learned: don't randomly and greedily grab provinces you have no claim or core on, at least not too often... Or, you know, start fabricating claims on a lot of provinces and THEN grab them. ;)

Indy, AARs are what got me interested in EU... :P This is one for EU 3, where someone starts as the Iroquois and goes on to complete world domination against all odds (and apparently that is one of the hardest things to do, survive as a Native American nation). It's a great read, where the author updates the AAR as he goes along, first just trying to survive, then slowly managing to expand further and further.

CzWTkU4.png

#16 Rhistuul

Rhistuul

PWWNy

• PWWNy
  • 392 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 04 November 2013 - 02:36 PM

...where someone starts as the Iroquois and goes on to complete world domination against all odds (and apparently that is one of the hardest things to do, survive as a Native American nation). It's a great read, where the author updates the AAR as he goes along, first just trying to survive, then slowly managing to expand further and further.

I read a review in which someone was complaining about how biased the game is in favor of the European nations, and the reviewer's response was "Well, the game's not called 'Every Nation Is Equally Viable Universalis..."

UvUm5gs.png

#17 Joha M'raadu

Joha M'raadu

NOT JOHN

• Staff
  • 215 posts
  • LocationCorner of No and Where

Posted 04 November 2013 - 02:52 PM

I prefer RTS over this kind... however this sounds fairly interesting but the complexity is driving it away from me as EVE is complex enough and I really do not want to keep learning how to play a new game...

However, with the way you conquer the Europe in this game, makes me worried if you are not secretly plotting to rule over Europe all byt yourself ;)

Posted Image

"To say that nothing is true, is to realize that the foundations of society are fragile, and that we must be the shepherds of our own civilization. To say that everything is permitted, is to understand that we are the architects of our actions, and that we must live with their consequences, whether glorious or tragic."

Posted Image
Follow me on Twitter!

#18 Studentay

Studentay

PWWNy

• Guest.Veteran
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 03:03 PM

I've redownloaded it at work & have just spent an hour or so on the non-interactive tutorials.... & already have a headache :o
MILF muzak :somuchpony:
Hexfalion: stupid boattruck
ELA Riald: What the fuck is a boattruck?
Yornic: It's a banana that's shaped like a cheesepuff that tastes like motor oil

#19 Yakumo Chidori

Yakumo Chidori

On an extended EVE break

• Guest.Validating
  • 4,734 posts
  • LocationThe Fatherland

Posted 04 November 2013 - 03:12 PM

I read a review in which someone was complaining about how biased the game is in favor of the European nations, and the reviewer's response was "Well, the game's not called 'Every Nation Is Equally Viable Universalis..."

It is extremely biased, in a bid to keep it SOMEWHAT historically accurate. European countries are the baseline and the other tech groups like Native American or Muslim or East Asian all have different negative modifiers to their tech development cost as well as different unit trees, usually inferior ones. You can westernize to get the tech cost down and annex European style provinces to be able to build their units there (At least in EU 3), but it is definitely more challenging. The interesting thing is how history plays out differently, like perhaps Austria in my game becoming a major central European power or the Ottoman Empire expanding, or some strange Middle East power rising to huge heights.

I prefer RTS over this kind... however this sounds fairly interesting but the complexity is driving it away from me as EVE is complex enough and I really do not want to keep learning how to play a new game...

However, with the way you conquer the Europe in this game, makes me worried if you are not secretly plotting to rule over Europe all byt yourself ;)

Well, you can play it like EVE really. More or less safe in highsec, just playing as an island country like England, doing only little expansion until you have your borders secured and then focus on trade or play as Venice and purely play as a trading power, amassing wealth and just buying off potential enemies. Or lowsec style like playing Portugal with little to no chance in Europe but aggressively building a colony empire or a Chinese local power owning until the Europeans start to encroach on you. Or full blown Nullsec style by playing one of the central European minor powers, building alliances, opportunistically take provinces, manage your friends and foes and go balls deep against major European countries or one of the more obscure Asian or American nations like perhaps Mayas, trying to survive in a world that stacks everything against you. That's the nice thing about EU, you can do whatever you want to. ;)

As to my dreams of conquest and world domination, how did you guess! :P

CzWTkU4.png

#20 Joha M'raadu

Joha M'raadu

NOT JOHN

• Staff
  • 215 posts
  • LocationCorner of No and Where

Posted 04 November 2013 - 03:26 PM

As to my dreams of conquest and world domination, how did you guess! :P

I guess it has to do with you being from The Fatherland and all... But I would totally vote for you but you are not going to be democratic about it are ya? :P

Just do not forget about us and make us all your first officers and admirals and shit, okay? :D

Posted Image

"To say that nothing is true, is to realize that the foundations of society are fragile, and that we must be the shepherds of our own civilization. To say that everything is permitted, is to understand that we are the architects of our actions, and that we must live with their consequences, whether glorious or tragic."

Posted Image
Follow me on Twitter!

Reply to this topic