23 replies to this topic

#1 XanthViper Ambraelle

XanthViper Ambraelle

CCP Manifest

• Administrator
  • 1,020 posts
  • LocationVail, AZ

Posted 29 October 2013 - 02:24 AM

Well hell, this is going to seriously throw a wrench into my Battlefield 4 game time tomorrow.

Posted Image

Posted Image
Chowder 1::2

#2 Theodoric Darkwind

Theodoric Darkwind

Xenaria's Worse Half

• Guest.Veteran
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,850 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 07:27 AM

you got both? Isn't basically the same on both consoles?

Posted Image

#3 Dave Orilian

Dave Orilian

HR Manager

• Guest.Veteran
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 12:46 PM

played all of them but became disillusioned with 3. Let us know what it's like

#4 XanthViper Ambraelle

XanthViper Ambraelle

CCP Manifest

• Administrator
  • 1,020 posts
  • LocationVail, AZ

Posted 29 October 2013 - 02:49 PM

PR sent me both versions of the game. So far so good Dave, Just starting to figure out the Animus storyline. The integrated Ubisoft into the storyline along with Abstergo which is kind of neat. Anyway will tell you more as I play more.

Posted Image
Chowder 1::2

#5 Den Ryer

Den Ryer

Grand Master Post

• Guest.Veteran
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 07:49 PM

With spoiler tags please!

Posted Image

#6 Dave Orilian

Dave Orilian

HR Manager

• Guest.Veteran
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 04:27 PM

Thinking of getting it for xmas, overall thoughts on it?

#7 Rhistuul

Rhistuul

PWWNy

• PWWNy
  • 392 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 27 November 2013 - 12:39 AM

I know there's a plot and all but fuck that, I'm'a sail around the Caribbean and pirate the shit out of people. It's not "accurate" but holy hell it's fun to dump broadsides into English men'o'war, the ocean looks awesome and the sea shanties rule.

Basically - speaking as a guy who likes sailing - this game is fucking crack cocaine.

UvUm5gs.png

#8 Yakumo Chidori

Yakumo Chidori

On an extended EVE break

• Guest.Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,734 posts
  • LocationThe Fatherland

Posted 27 November 2013 - 07:21 AM

I've only seen video footage of the sea battles, but is it true that you spam out shots every few seconds and that you can one-shot brigs and such and even win a shoot out with ships of the line in your tiny at best frigate sized ship? And why the hell is the captain steering AND giving commands on when to shoot and what the hell is happening to the sails when he is just circling around and around, who is constantly raising and lowering them?

No, just no.

Arcade is one thing, but that is just sooo far off reality... :(

CzWTkU4.png

#9 Rhistuul

Rhistuul

PWWNy

• PWWNy
  • 392 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 27 November 2013 - 07:26 AM

Well, to say nothing of "you can fucking sail directly upwind, just slowly." But fuck it, it's not a sailboat simulator. :D

There are lots of seamen pulling on lines and your quartermaster is constantly instructing them to "loose gallants and topsails," "clew down with a will me lads," etc. So there's that. And more often than not they do have the terminology right, which is more than I expected.

UvUm5gs.png

#10 Yakumo Chidori

Yakumo Chidori

On an extended EVE break

• Guest.Validating
  • 4,734 posts
  • LocationThe Fatherland

Posted 27 November 2013 - 09:04 AM

But But But it would be SO much cooler if you wouldn't stand a single chance at a direct confrontation with a 74-gunner but you would be able to outmaneuver and outrun it with your smaller more nimble ship if it were only following more realistic rules. And the suspension! Can I get the fuck away from this huge ass ship or will those two brigs manage to run me down and cripple me with chainshot before I can take out their masts? OH NO WINDS CALMED DOWN! MAN THE BOATS AND HEAVE YOU SUCKERS HEAAAAAVE!!!!!!!!!!

Can someone point me to a sailboat simulator set in the 18th and 19th century? :P

I want a Hornblower game... Damn you all... Harumpf...

CzWTkU4.png

#11 Theodoric Darkwind

Theodoric Darkwind

Xenaria's Worse Half

• Guest.Veteran
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,850 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 09:27 AM

But But But it would be SO much cooler if you wouldn't stand a single chance at a direct confrontation with a 74-gunner but you would be able to outmaneuver and outrun it with your smaller more nimble ship if it were only following more realistic rules. And the suspension! Can I get the fuck away from this huge ass ship or will those two brigs manage to run me down and cripple me with chainshot before I can take out their masts? OH NO WINDS CALMED DOWN! MAN THE BOATS AND HEAVE YOU SUCKERS HEAAAAAVE!!!!!!!!!!

Can someone point me to a sailboat simulator set in the 18th and 19th century? :P

I want a Hornblower game... Damn you all... Harumpf...

Or it could just be an American "Frigate" which was a 3rd rate pretending it was a frigate. There was a reason the British had strict orders to never engage American warships 1 vs 1. We didn't follow the British system of "ratings" and tended to massively overgun our ships (In fact the most heavily armed sail powered warship in history was the USS Pennsylvania, a 144 gun ship that only sailed once haha and had to be torched to keep the Confederates from capturing it in port)

Posted Image

#12 Dave Orilian

Dave Orilian

HR Manager

• Guest.Veteran
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 12:43 PM

you've talked me into it, just ordered it from amazon. The Soundtrack sounds awesome aswell :)

http://www.sailsimulator.com/

but seriously which is more fun......

Posted Image

or

Posted Image

#13 Yakumo Chidori

Yakumo Chidori

On an extended EVE break

• Guest.Validating
  • 4,734 posts
  • LocationThe Fatherland

Posted 27 November 2013 - 01:01 PM

you've talked me into it, just ordered it from amazon. The Soundtrack sounds awesome aswell :)

http://www.sailsimulator.com/

but seriously which is more fun......

Posted Image

or

Posted Image

Posted Image

Also I am no sailor, but I don't think you would have full sails up in that kind of a storm, no? Rhistuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuul!!!!

CzWTkU4.png

#14 Rhistuul

Rhistuul

PWWNy

• PWWNy
  • 392 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 27 November 2013 - 02:15 PM

MORE SAILS IS MORE FASTER

but yeah, if there was an actual 1700s-ship-of-the-line naval battle simulator I suspect I'd play the hell out of that too.

UvUm5gs.png

#15 Yakumo Chidori

Yakumo Chidori

On an extended EVE break

• Guest.Validating
  • 4,734 posts
  • LocationThe Fatherland

Posted 27 November 2013 - 03:31 PM

Posted Image

The longer I look at that picture the madder I get... Why does the rain fall more or less straight although there is a storm raging? Why are the 2-decker's sails hanging more or less limp and why are the spars not trimmed to catch the wind? Why is the wind direction indicated by the triangular flag not relevant? Why are there only at best 4 cannons on the protagonists ship and how the fuck are they supposed to win against a full broadside of a 2-decker? And where the fuck are the gun crews or is that single toy-boy at each gun doing all the loading and shooting? Where the hell is the rest of the crew? And why are they not trimming THEIR sails? Why does it look like the shoots are actually too large for the cannon caliber?

And more sails in a storm = more ripped sails and more broken masts!!!! God damnit! Fools! Fools all of you!

CzWTkU4.png

#16 Dave Orilian

Dave Orilian

HR Manager

• Guest.Veteran
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 04:44 PM

Posted Image

The longer I look at that picture the madder I get... Why does the rain fall more or less straight although there is a storm raging? Why are the 2-decker's sails hanging more or less limp and why are the spars not trimmed to catch the wind? Why is the wind direction indicated by the triangular flag not relevant? Why are there only at best 4 cannons on the protagonists ship and how the fuck are they supposed to win against a full broadside of a 2-decker? And where the fuck are the gun crews or is that single toy-boy at each gun doing all the loading and shooting? Where the hell is the rest of the crew? And why are they not trimming THEIR sails? Why does it look like the shoots are actually too large for the cannon caliber?

And more sails in a storm = more ripped sails and more broken masts!!!! God damnit! Fools! Fools all of you!

That's what you find implausible in a game about a secret organisation running the world while a group of rebels try to fight against them and prevent the end of the world by doing puzzles set by a forerunner race of humans that left artifacts that granted power to all leaders throughout history using a machine that reads memories from DNA....... :P

#17 Yakumo Chidori

Yakumo Chidori

On an extended EVE break

• Guest.Validating
  • 4,734 posts
  • LocationThe Fatherland

Posted 27 November 2013 - 06:31 PM

That's what you find implausible in a game about a secret organisation running the world while a group of rebels try to fight against them and prevent the end of the world by doing puzzles set by a forerunner race of humans that left artifacts that granted power to all leaders throughout history using a machine that reads memories from DNA....... :P

I cannot comment on that, I've never played an Assassin's Creed game... :P

CzWTkU4.png

#18 Sabrina Blaque

Sabrina Blaque

Diplomat

• Staff
  • 267 posts
  • LocationSo Cal

Posted 27 November 2013 - 06:55 PM

Posted Image

:derpyderp2:
Posted Image MUFFINS! Posted Image

#19 Rhistuul

Rhistuul

PWWNy

• PWWNy
  • 392 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 28 November 2013 - 12:38 AM

That's a really good point, you should make sure to stick to games where CONSTANT THRUST = CONSTANT VELOCITY, IN SPACE.

UvUm5gs.png

#20 Den Ryer

Den Ryer

Grand Master Post

• Guest.Veteran
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 05:00 AM

Posted Image

Yah, sorry Yäk. I got to call "bittervet" on this one. It seems like you want to hate it, so you shouldn't need to try so hard to hate it. The simple answer for you is because that would suck in an Assassin's Creed game. There are people who would love the game you describe (not me, but that's ok), but Assassin's Creed fans looking for an Assassin's Creed game would not. You have to sacrifice realism for gameplay. Almost always. In almost every game.

People asked questions like this when Pirates of the Burning Sea was coming out, and the developers normally responded "because we want to make a fun pirate game, not a sailing simulator".

Posted Image

Reply to this topic