#41 Yakumo Chidori

Yakumo Chidori

On an extended EVE break

• Guest.Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,734 posts
  • LocationThe Fatherland

Posted 02 September 2013 - 06:23 AM

Shameless leak from the Kick ENL-I forums (I am leaking the links above to them too, no worries...) :P

http://www.lambda-te...ing/gbindex.htm

http://www.tomshardware.com/

CzWTkU4.png

#42 Nyctef

Nyctef

PWWNy

• Guest.Veteran
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • Locationafk

Posted 02 September 2013 - 05:24 PM

• From what I've kept hearing about SSD's, they have a finite number of read/write cycles, so long term they're not as reliable, but the number is still fairly large, so putting your OS and a couple games/programs you use the most on the SSD and the rest of your stuff on a traditional HDD is the way to go

This is a lot less true than it was a couple years ago. It's not something you really have to worry about any more.

#43 Yakumo Chidori

Yakumo Chidori

On an extended EVE break

• Guest.Validating
  • 4,734 posts
  • LocationThe Fatherland

Posted 09 November 2013 - 09:54 PM

Gonna hijack this thread again, because it makes things so nice and tidy, so... efficient... :drool: :P

Since the last update I went and got myself a new monitor to replace my aging Samsung 19'' 4:3 TFT who served me well and true for quite a lot of years but finally succumbed to the dreaded internal-power-unit-is-slowly-dying-symptom. So this was the state until 1 week ago (picture is older, but nothing except the keyboard changed):

Spoiler

The left laptop is now relegated to TV duties. The notebook in the middle is my pidgin chat box.

Replaced the Samsung with a 24'' 16:9 fullHD LED one from Acer (great price/performance) and what a difference!!! Should have done that ages ago to be honest. Suddenly got a lot of real estate in my EVE client, no more nearly unreadable windows crammed together. ;)

So it went from the pic above to this (excuse the crappy iPhone4 camera please, it is shit in low light environments):

Spoiler

No, no multiple monitors yet, as you can see, I ran out of room for 3 or even 2... That's something for when I'll move in a couple of years.

Soooooo, 1 update down, next one: Get a new gaming PC, my old one is hitting close to 8 years now in most parts (with a single hardware update some 4 years ago which basically only consisted of a new GPU). Did some random browsing until Nyctef showed me one of his recent builds and with cannibalizing that one as well as info from here http://www.logicalincrements.com/ I've ended up with the following list:

Spoiler

This thing ends up at 1450,- Euros which is quite a lot, but if it lasts as long as my current one (which will go on in life as a TV box) that's ISK I am willing to invest. And with being quite high-endish with its main interior parts like the motherboard and chip it should be quite future proof, and if I will need more GPU power at one point I guess I can just get a second GTX 770 (if that is possible? If not, no big deal upgrading that one to something newer). Decided against an i7 4770 chip as hyperthreading can go suck my balls, especially for the additional price they ask.

Still hesitating to actually hit the "buy" button, but I know me, once I am at this stage of time and effort input I'll go and buy it at one time soon. :P

Bonus picture: My PCs and laptop from exactly 10 years ago, they all were quite shitty cheap machines even back then. Well, not the laptop, it actually was the most powerful PC in that picture and served me very well indeed (fun fact, the background picture is from Anarchy Online). Still got the black speakers and they still work nicely (yes, the room could have been tidier...). ;)

Spoiler

CzWTkU4.png

#44 Studentay

Studentay

PWWNy

• Guest.Veteran
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 11:37 PM

Lava lamp ftw :D Also, hope you use your mousemat the right way round nowadays...
MILF muzak :somuchpony:
Hexfalion: stupid boattruck
ELA Riald: What the fuck is a boattruck?
Yornic: It's a banana that's shaped like a cheesepuff that tastes like motor oil

#45 Dave Orilian

Dave Orilian

HR Manager

• Guest.Veteran
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 01:52 AM

At least I hope that's a lava lamp......

16gb ram seems a bit overkill to me. Not like you're gonna be triple boxing Skyrim or anything right? ;)

#46 Yakumo Chidori

Yakumo Chidori

On an extended EVE break

• Guest.Validating
  • 4,734 posts
  • LocationThe Fatherland

Posted 10 November 2013 - 10:06 AM

Lava lamp ftw :D Also, hope you use your mousemat the right way round nowadays...

Yes, it is a lava lamp Dave, I promise it has never been put to "other" uses (I hope!), and it is still residing in my guest room...

And no, still got my mousemat turned 90 degrees, my current steelseries with EVE logo one (which we got for free at Fanfest) looks kinda stupid that way. :P

16gb might be a bit of overkill, true, not like I am going to do any rendering or stuff. Dropping down to 2x4GB also drops the price by 70,- Euros and it is one of the easiest things to update if ever needed. Done. ;)

Any other comments and tips on the build are very much welcome indeed. The more feedback I get on an investment of that scale, the better. :)

CzWTkU4.png

#47 Cadune Amilion

Cadune Amilion

Ex-CEO

• Guest.Veteran
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,306 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 01:42 PM

Go with 2x smaller SSD and raid 0 them, ultimate in performance + i think you may save money.

I find a USB based WLAN is better than a card in as you can move it around to find the best signal. May think about using a homeplug network instead for LAN capabilities.

1TB drives wise, why not use your current drive just move it system? Its only 'storage' anyhow.

Intel/NVIDIA i know nothing about.

Duel screens are the boss btw, do away with your dedi jabber box and maybe even save power.

#48 Yakumo Chidori

Yakumo Chidori

On an extended EVE break

• Guest.Validating
  • 4,734 posts
  • LocationThe Fatherland

Posted 10 November 2013 - 04:22 PM

Go with 2x smaller SSD and raid 0 them, ultimate in performance + i think you may save money.

I find a USB based WLAN is better than a card in as you can move it around to find the best signal. May think about using a homeplug network instead for LAN capabilities.

1TB drives wise, why not use your current drive just move it system? Its only 'storage' anyhow.

Intel/NVIDIA i know nothing about.

Duel screens are the boss btw, do away with your dedi jabber box and maybe even save power.

Thanks for the return. :)

SSDs: A 256 is actually cheaper than 2x128s, not by much, but still. :P

The WLAN is not needed yet, that's for when I move house and if I cannot get a cable sorted, currently still got nice wired access. Your point for an USB one is well put though...

As to my current HDDs, they are as old as the PC, so time to chuck them away and a complete clean install can't hurt, thus I'll be able to get rid of all the accumulated shit. Can perhaps salvage one of them which served as a file holder only but we'll see. Gonna salvage one of the two DVD drives though. Oh, and my old one will still need some basic things as he will go on living. :)

Dual screens will definitely come, but not while I am still in this appartment. ;)

Soooooooooo close now to hitting buy. :D

CzWTkU4.png

#49 Alex Quintane

Alex Quintane

Logistics

• Guest.Veteran
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 11 November 2013 - 04:38 AM

I have literally just made this pc, ill edit tomorrow with pics and tips on what to get or what not etc. For now 4am is sleeptime

Ok im back.
First of all the Fractal Design R4 Case is super sexy, good room for upgrades, good ventilation, good cable management, and very quiet.
Spoiler

Heres a look inside:
Spoiler

Specs:
CPU - i5 4670k 3.4GHz
MOBO - ASRock Extreme3
GPU - EVGA GeForce GTX 760
CPU Cooling - Noctua NH-U12S
RAM - 8GB (4x2) Corsair Vengeance
PSU - Seagate 650W
SSD - Sandisk Extreme 120GB
HDD - Seagate Barracuda 1TB
CD/DVD - Lite-On iHAS124-04
Wifi - TP-Link TL-WDN4800

Overclocking
CPU - I currently have mine overclocked to 4.1GHz with the Ram at 2000MHz. With more time i expect to overclock this more as most reach 4.5GHz-ish. But one of the major problems is the heat as the chip runs hot, so i would advise spending abit more on a heatsink.

Regarding your build:
1. you dont need more than 8GB of Ram unless your compensating so that can be stripped down
2. you could downsize the SSD dependant on what you actually want there (mine has 25GB of windows) but the extra size is nice, but has its price
3. The PSU might be abit over the top, but if you want it for later SLI upgrades then fair enough
4. The Motherboard i found made little difference, i got this one because its cheap cheap and overclocks on par with much more expensive models, but again your call.

If you have any questions feel free to ask, hope this helps somewhat and isnt just me taking about me

#50 Yakumo Chidori

Yakumo Chidori

On an extended EVE break

• Guest.Validating
  • 4,734 posts
  • LocationThe Fatherland

Posted 11 November 2013 - 10:14 PM

Thanks for the build advice Alex! And a picture of your red canvas shoe under the drawer chest... And my brother got the same shoe rack... Anyway. :P

I don't plan to overclock (yet), as I am very shaky on that territory and I tend to use things as the builder intended, but I like having that option in reserve once I feel in a couple of years that I need MORE POWEEEEEER so good to know that it is not too hard to do. ;)

Definitely gonna keep it down at 8GB Ram, and a bigger sized SSD cannot hurt (instant access to the prime samples of my pron collection or something), MoBo I just picked the Gigabyte one because Nyctef first mentioned it and it got quite a lot of decent reviews, so why not, as you said, in that league they all more or less play the same game. Same really with the PSU, reserves are just good to have (and if it is in any way intelligently designed I'd like to keep it close to perhaps half power usage, that way it should actually run more silent and cooler). Stole the DVD reader off your build though, noticed that I do not have any blinds left for my old PC so cannot just steal one of those. :)

Your pictures of that case make it look great in the "wild" too, so I guess this is more or less it and I am going to order it soonish. There goes my Christmas bonus... But that's what its for after all, pure indulgence. :P

Yay! Thanks for all your input and help, much appreciated. :D

CzWTkU4.png

#51 Yakumo Chidori

Yakumo Chidori

On an extended EVE break

• Guest.Validating
  • 4,734 posts
  • LocationThe Fatherland

Posted 15 November 2013 - 10:55 AM

There we go, parts ordered, 1400,- Euros exactly, should arrive tomorrow (Amazon Prime FTW). Will post pictures when I start building that thing, may take a week or two though, gonna take it slow and nice, with loads of foreplay and lubrication...

CzWTkU4.png

#52 Cadune Amilion

Cadune Amilion

Ex-CEO

• Guest.Veteran
  • 2,306 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 02:19 PM

And that's just the lava lamp.

Wait until he starts to use the thermal paste!

#53 Yakumo Chidori

Yakumo Chidori

On an extended EVE break

• Guest.Validating
  • 4,734 posts
  • LocationThe Fatherland

Posted 23 November 2013 - 01:36 PM

Right! All done! The new PC is set up, booted directly with all items working as intended on the first try, I am just amazing like that. ;)

Now, to the actual build.

- The case: Oh God, the case! I literally creamed myself with every single thing about this case, without a doubt the best mechanical item in the whole build. Coming from an old 30 bucks shit-thing this was sooooo much better. The cable management is pro, the interior space is ample and the thing is SILENT! Even with the case fans running on full speed, if I turn them down to 7V with the integrated controller I literally cannot hear them any more. Also it LOOKS good. :)

- The CPU and its cooler: Well, the CPU is fast and with the cooler very chilled, even under pressure (no overclocking though). Installing the CPU cooler I did a couple of mistakes like not pre-fastening the holding plate before trying to fiddle with all the rest, putting the thermal paste on way too early so it started to run which led to some interesting case-gymnastics to keep it from running into the interiors of the CPU. That's perhaps the only thing I would change if I were to build the same setup again, the CPU cooler, the installation was just a bit too fiddly for my tastes.

- The motherboard and the RAM: Well, the MoBo was easy pie, has tons of connectors in all the places and easy accessibility to them all. RAMs are RAMs, no biggie there (did drop from 16gig to 8 as mentioned before).

- The PSU: Yeah, a bit overpowered perhaps, but that should keep it running at peak efficiency. Also modular cables, never ever again anything else, so nice, and tidy, and efficient, and GERMAN! :P

- The drives: The Samsung SSD is a beast! Already loving it. The HDD is an HDD, no surprise there, perhaps the loudest part in the case though, expect for the optical of course, but which is only there for emergencies and old game installs anyway.

- The GPU: The last part to arrive. And it looks great, the cooling system especially! Stresstesting it gave me some very nice stats and the GeForce Experience suite that comes with it is awesomesauce, especially that it checks your installed games (if they are on ZE LIST, EVE for one is not) and suggests optimal settings for them. Check this vid out for someone else being in ecstasy about it (shoutout to Alex for pointing me to Linus' build guides, made things overall easy as pie as I could just go along with the video step by step).

- Windows 8.1: Oh my God, I fucking hate tiles and all those colours!!!! At least with 8.1 you can turn most of the shit off and coupled with the small utility called Classic Start Menu you can NEARLY tweak it in such a way that you got the good old Win 7 desktop feel back (yes, with a functioning old school start button, bitches!). Otherwise the functionalities and performance of Win 8 are really great, no complaint there at all, especially as it is running off the SSD. Sure, it took me 3 or 4 hours to fiddle with all the deep settings to have everything JUST SO, but I am a bit anal about having a nicely set up system. :P

Overall I am very happy as you can most likely tell, now though I need to set up all of those tiny little things and settings in the softwares. Guess that's gonna be a while... :(

So without further ado, here is a imgur album link with some build pictures and comments for those interested or voyeuristicly inclined. Enjoy!

Many thanks again to all the tips and tricks I got. :D

CzWTkU4.png

#54 Andy Koraka

Andy Koraka

PWWNy

• Guest.Veteran
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 05:51 AM

Which brand of motherboard are you using Yäk? Most brands these days come with "soft" overclocking software built right into the BIOS making it error proof. Asus (which is what I have) for example has a "preformance" setting that automatically overclocks everything by 10%.

I don't feel comfortable manually adjusting voltages/ect either, but with the autotune overclock my CPU has been running at 4.4GHz w/ a 100% load on all 8 cores using a stock heatsink and my max temperature didn't get above 55 degrees. (I'm running the folding@home program because :science: which utilizes the extra cores)

#55 Yakumo Chidori

Yakumo Chidori

On an extended EVE break

• Guest.Validating
  • 4,734 posts
  • LocationThe Fatherland

Posted 24 November 2013 - 11:00 AM

Which brand of motherboard are you using Yäk? Most brands these days come with "soft" overclocking software built right into the BIOS making it error proof. Asus (which is what I have) for example has a "preformance" setting that automatically overclocks everything by 10%.

I don't feel comfortable manually adjusting voltages/ect either, but with the autotune overclock my CPU has been running at 4.4GHz w/ a 100% load on all 8 cores using a stock heatsink and my max temperature didn't get above 55 degrees. (I'm running the folding@home program because :science: which utilizes the extra cores)

Gigabyte Z87X. I am certain it has some overclocking feature built in, think I saw something like that in the bios (not very good with them though). Certainly won't fiddle with the voltage on my own, if it doesn't have an auto-feature I am NOT going to touch it. ;)

May be that I will have to spend a bit of time in it anyway, had trouble starting up the system this morning, didn't accept the power on command either from the case button or the motherboard button, had to press the reset bios button and then it worked like a peach. Ah well, not bothered. Not yet. :P

CzWTkU4.png

#56 Yakumo Chidori

Yakumo Chidori

On an extended EVE break

• Guest.Validating
  • 4,734 posts
  • LocationThe Fatherland

Posted 29 November 2013 - 01:07 PM

For those interested in current trends and system builds, Ars Technica just released one of their awesome system/component guides.

Enjoy!

http://arstechnica.c...de-august-2013/

(No clue why it says August in the direct link but is actually a November update...)

CzWTkU4.png

#57 Theodoric Darkwind

Theodoric Darkwind

Xenaria's Worse Half

• Guest.Veteran
  • 1,850 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 03:43 AM

I have literally just made this pc, ill edit tomorrow with pics and tips on what to get or what not etc. For now 4am is sleeptime

Ok im back.
First of all the Fractal Design R4 Case is super sexy, good room for upgrades, good ventilation, good cable management, and very quiet.

Spoiler

Heres a look inside:
Spoiler

Specs:
CPU - i5 4670k 3.4GHz
MOBO - ASRock Extreme3
GPU - EVGA GeForce GTX 760
CPU Cooling - Noctua NH-U12S
RAM - 8GB (4x2) Corsair Vengeance
PSU - Seagate 650W
SSD - Sandisk Extreme 120GB
HDD - Seagate Barracuda 1TB
CD/DVD - Lite-On iHAS124-04
Wifi - TP-Link TL-WDN4800

Overclocking
CPU - I currently have mine overclocked to 4.1GHz with the Ram at 2000MHz. With more time i expect to overclock this more as most reach 4.5GHz-ish. But one of the major problems is the heat as the chip runs hot, so i would advise spending abit more on a heatsink.

Regarding your build:
1. you dont need more than 8GB of Ram unless your compensating so that can be stripped down
2. you could downsize the SSD dependant on what you actually want there (mine has 25GB of windows) but the extra size is nice, but has its price
3. The PSU might be abit over the top, but if you want it for later SLI upgrades then fair enough
4. The Motherboard i found made little difference, i got this one because its cheap cheap and overclocks on par with much more expensive models, but again your call.

If you have any questions feel free to ask, hope this helps somewhat and isnt just me taking about me

Sadly the K-series intel chips are a deal breaker for me:( I have to have Vtd support and intel removes that feature from the K-series chips. Not sure why intel feels the need to make you choose between overclock ability and hardware virtualization where AMD doesn't (its like they have this weird idea in their head that home users dont do anything with virtualization).

Posted Image

#58 Cadune Amilion

Cadune Amilion

Ex-CEO

• Guest.Veteran
  • 2,306 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 01:30 PM

What does vts make you able to do?

#59 Theodoric Darkwind

Theodoric Darkwind

Xenaria's Worse Half

• Guest.Veteran
  • 1,850 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 03:53 AM

Case pr0n time.  Xenaria's new rig that I just built for her :D

CAM00279_zps98211ccf.jpg

Specs.

CPU:  Core i5-4670K 3.4Ghz (currently at 3.8Ghz)

Mobo:  ASUS Z87-C

Case:  Corsair C70

RAM: 16GB

GPU:  Nvidia GTX-650Ti (grabbed from her old machine which got a GPU upgrade only a few months ago)

HDD:  Seagate 1TB 6GB sata.

Cooling:  Cooler Master T4

Also a shiny new 24" monitor

And for the fun story.  Xenaria and I drove down to Microcenter in Denver yesterday to pick up the parts for this plus some upgrades for mine too (I bumped mine to 16GB of ram also and swapped out my AMD FX-4100 for a FX-8350).  When we got home as I was getting ready to install the Mobo in her new case I notice a little thermal compound oozed out from under the heatsink.  Turns out that the tech who POST tested the Mobo/CPU before we left the store used soo much thermal compound that not only did some ooze out, but it had oozed into the CPU socket (for those who don't work on PCs that basically trashes the motherboard because you will never get it out of the cpu socket without damaging the pins) :(    Luckily they replaced the mobo and cpu at no charge, though I ended up having to make a second trip to Denver today to exchange them.  Then comes even more fun, as they hand me the new mobo and cpu after POST testing, I decide to inspect it this time and notice that not only was there thermal compound oozing out of this one (thankfully it didn't get into the socket) the heatsink was hanging halfway off the CPU.  So after a nice little chat with their service manager I finally get Xenaria's new mobo and cpu with the heatsink installed correctly this time.

Edit:  Yes I stashed the excess cables in the lower drive bays, there simply wasn't enough room behind the back panel to squeeze them all in.  Also no SSDs  ... yet.  Maybe later this year.

And to answer Tugger's question.  Vtd/AMD-V (Intel/AMD flavors of the same thing) is a CPU/Mobo feature that allows hypervisors to access the hardware directly which greatly improves the performance of virtual machines (and is essential to the basic function of type 1 hypervisors like ESXi, RHEV/oVirt, and Hyper-V).

Posted Image

#60 Yakumo Chidori

Yakumo Chidori

On an extended EVE break

• Guest.Validating
  • 4,734 posts
  • LocationThe Fatherland

Posted 07 March 2014 - 07:11 AM

Thermal paste is the devil... That there hasn't been invented something else yet, like, I don't know, a sticker with nano-fillaments-carbon-regenerative-heat-absorption-bio-fibres or something.

CzWTkU4.png

Reply to this topic