60 replies to this topic

#21 Dave Orilian

Dave Orilian

HR Manager

• Guest.Veteran
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 09:53 PM

thanks for all the help m8s, I've read LOADS of it and come up with this, it's basically the same as the pachage in that Aria link Dexter linked but with a better graphics card and 500gb HDD instead of 1TB, I also selected a 350W power supply instead of 450W because it didn't explain why 450 was needed

thoughts?

Case STYLISH PIANO BLACK ENIGMA MICRO-ATX CASE + 2 FRONT USB

Processor (CPU) intel® Core™i3 Dual Core Processor i3-3240 (3.40GHz) 3MB Cache

Motherboard ASUS® P8H61-MX USB3/SI: uATX, USB 3.0, SATA 3.0Gb/s

Memory (RAM) 8GB KINGSTON DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz (1 x 8GB)

Graphics Card 1GB AMD RADEON™ HD7770 - DVI,HDMI,DP - DX® 11

Memory - 1st Hard Disk 500GB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD5003AZEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm)

1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive 24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM

Power Supply 350W Dual Rail PSU + 120mm Case Fan

Processor Cooling INTEL STANDARD CPU COOLER

Sound Card ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)

Network Facilities 10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT - AS STANDARD ON ALL PCs

USB Options MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 4 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS

Power Cable 1 x 2 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)

Operating System Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit w/SP1 - inc DVD & Licence (£79)

Warranty 3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour) (£5)
Quantity 1

Price for this PC System:

£437.50 ex VAT.

£525.00 inc VAT and Delivery.

#22 Kordran Ke'Azir

Kordran Ke'Azir

PWWNy

• Staff
  • 540 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 03 August 2013 - 10:51 PM

In all honesty, it depends on your budget. I ent for a pretty high spec pc, but it'll last you 5 yrs +

The one you've made is ok, but doesn't have much room for muscle. It'll work for now, but you'll notice the cut-backs much much sooner and it'll have a far lower life span.

Also, in order to ensure constant power to all items, they allow a 20% buffer over the basic KW/H need. Upgrade back to the 450 (I never go below 600)

If you can afford to upgrade one other item, upgrade the CPU. Reasoning is that the CPU is the backbone. If it's weak, the whole pc will be weak (relatively). If it's strong, the other modules take less strain - and GFX cards drop in price quickly so upgrading one of those will set you back far less and do far more than a cpu upgrade in 6-12 months if you notice that it needs more guts. (It's also MASSIVELY easier to do)
Posted Image

#23 Rhistuul

Rhistuul

PWWNy

• PWWNy
  • 392 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 03 August 2013 - 11:33 PM

I recall the price difference between i3 and i5 is not much - I would say very worth the price to upgrade that.

Also I would think you really want dual ram sticks. Ram is cheap as hell too, but 2x4Gb should get you more love than 1x8Gb. Not sure how much real-world performance difference there is but I know it's theoretically much better.

UvUm5gs.png

#24 Donsig

Donsig

Former PWWNy

• PWWNy
  • 428 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 04:54 PM

I think it's a mistake to go below 600W tbh.

And honestly, I think 350W is cutting it very close. Remember, the less overhead you have, the harder it will have to work, thus making more heat, which in turn means the fans will spin faster. And it will reduce the lifespan of it.

Regarding 1 block of RAM vs. 2 blocks, it really depends on if you want to go 16GB some time in the future, if not, go with one anyway. Today it doesn't really matter, unless you're running somesort of high capacity database server, and need to access your memory all the time.

#25 Yakumo Chidori

Yakumo Chidori

On an extended EVE break

• Guest.Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,734 posts
  • LocationThe Fatherland

Posted 04 August 2013 - 05:23 PM

A couple of questions that cropped up while I am browsing through a new build myself...:
  • Quad core hyperthreading for 8 threads: Apparently not used by games yet, are there any plans for that in the near (1-2) years future? If I build a new PC I want it to last 5 years minimum without a CPU upgrade.
  • There are rumors that SSDs lose their integrity after a few years, which would make them worse long-term storage units that classic HDDs. Any truth in that (again, components should last at least 5 years, storage perhaps longer)?
  • Why are there notes for power units to be "Haswell compatible"? Do the new i5s need some kind of fancy powersource? Is it run on Unobtanium? With a flux capacitor?
  • Monitors: I want to go dual screen, perhaps triple screen. I've been reading that Dell's have a great price-performance quota and a small bezel (which I prefer). Should be 1920x1080, between 23'' and 24'' (three 27'' would be a bit huge...). Been a fan of Samsung so far, but they seem kinda bad in the 200-250€ / 170-210 Pounds / 260-330$ range.
  • Going with two, perhaps upgraded to sometime 3 monitors, what graphic cards are there? Should I go dual card or a bigger mono (uninformed tendency towards mono). AMD or Nividia? Pricerange 300-350 € / 260-304 Pounds / 400-460 $

CzWTkU4.png

#26 Obe-Wan Kenobi

Obe-Wan Kenobi

HR Director

• Director
  • 720 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 06:01 PM

A couple of questions that cropped up while I am browsing through a new build myself...:

• Quad core hyperthreading for 8 threads: Apparently not used by games yet, are there any plans for that in the near (1-2) years future? If I build a new PC I want it to last 5 years minimum without a CPU upgrade.
  • There are rumors that SSDs lose their integrity after a few years, which would make them worse long-term storage units that classic HDDs. Any truth in that (again, components should last at least 5 years, storage perhaps longer)?
  • Why are there notes for power units to be "Haswell compatible"? Do the new i5s need some kind of fancy powersource? Is it run on Unobtanium? With a flux capacitor?
  • Monitors: I want to go dual screen, perhaps triple screen. I've been reading that Dell's have a great price-performance quota and a small bezel (which I prefer). Should be 1920x1080, between 23'' and 24'' (three 27'' would be a bit huge...). Been a fan of Samsung so far, but they seem kinda bad in the 200-250€ / 170-210 Pounds / 260-330$ range.
  • Going with two, perhaps upgraded to sometime 3 monitors, what graphic cards are there? Should I go dual card or a bigger mono (uninformed tendency towards mono). AMD or Nividia? Pricerange 300-350 € / 260-304 Pounds / 400-460 $

I'm certainly no tech expert, but for a couple of your questions:
  • From what I've kept hearing about SSD's, they have a finite number of read/write cycles, so long term they're not as reliable, but the number is still fairly large, so putting your OS and a couple games/programs you use the most on the SSD and the rest of your stuff on a traditional HDD is the way to go
  • I've been an Nvidia fan for a while, but they fucking suck for multi-monitor support. When I upgraded my card a few months ago, I initially got a 560 Ti that had 3 ports for monitors on it. Turns out, you can't run 3 monitors at once off of it, you can only power 2 at once. If you're going to SLI them with 2 cards, or get one of the high end Nvidia cards, I've been told those will actually do 3, but AMD still seems to be the multi-monitor support king (I'm currently using an HD 7900 after returning my Nvidia card)

Posted Image

#27 Dexter Rock

Dexter Rock

Morale Cormorant, Best Cormorant.

• Guest.Veteran
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 05 August 2013 - 02:48 PM

• There are rumors that SSDs lose their integrity after a few years, which would make them worse long-term storage units that classic HDDs. Any truth in that (again, components should last at least 5 years, storage perhaps

8 threads for a game is not happening anytime soon.

SSD do die after a few years. If you are indeed planning to use SSD drive for your system drive(I do, reduces boot up time), always go for size. The bigger the SSD the longer lifespan.

2 monitors is ok but I would not go 3... It does reduce your build options, so have to go either with motherboard with 2pci16 slots, upgrade power supply, and two cards or a single card that supports 3 monitors like http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814121247

This may be detrimental to your game performance as these might not be exactly 'gaming cards'

#28 Dexter Rock

Dexter Rock

Morale Cormorant, Best Cormorant.

• Guest.Veteran
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 05 August 2013 - 03:41 PM

I recall the price difference between i3 and i5 is not much - I would say very worth the price to upgrade that.

Also I would think you really want dual ram sticks. Ram is cheap as hell too, but 2x4Gb should get you more love than 1x8Gb. Not sure how much real-world performance difference there is but I know it's theoretically much better.

If you're thinking future upgrade, stick to 1x 8GB and add a second module to make a pair in a few months for DUAL CHANNEL

I agree with above re: the power supply. I never would not downgrade PSU to 350W.

#29 Rhistuul

Rhistuul

PWWNy

• PWWNy
  • 392 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 05 August 2013 - 05:29 PM

Haswell chips need 2 8-pin CPU connections in addition to the 32-pin (or whatever) motherboard connection. I know some of the older i3/5/7 chips only needed one. I assume that's the Haswell-compatible thing but v0v.

I run a 1000-watt power supply. It's massive overkill and I will never, ever need to upgrade it.

If you want to SSD, I have found good results with a small SSD for system and boot, and a large traditional hard disk for apps, games, data, etc. That way when it's time for a fresh install of Windows all your data can just be migrated over on the HD and only the SSD gets flattened. It's true that they don't last as long but the real killer is apparently defrag - you NEVER want to run defrag on an SSD, all it does is shorten the lifespan.

I run dual monitors on a GTX 680. I've switched between nVidia and ATI pretty much every generation, and I always end up being happier with nVidia.

UvUm5gs.png

#30 Yakumo Chidori

Yakumo Chidori

On an extended EVE break

• Guest.Validating
  • 4,734 posts
  • LocationThe Fatherland

Posted 05 August 2013 - 05:49 PM

Right, OS on the SSD makes sense with a reinstall and a fresh one every couple of years, the rest of everything on the HDD.

So the verdict is still out on the nvidia-amx thing, but Dexters argument about 3 monitors sounds logical, although this somehow caught my eye... :P

http://www.amd.com/u...-eyefinity.aspx

CzWTkU4.png

#31 Chaos Shikari

Chaos Shikari

Pubbie

• Guest.Veteran
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationStevenage, United Kingdom

Posted 05 August 2013 - 06:49 PM

Eyefinity FTW...

Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

#32 Obe-Wan Kenobi

Obe-Wan Kenobi

HR Director

• Director
  • 720 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 08:24 PM

Chaos, is that your setup?
Posted Image

#33 Chaos Shikari

Chaos Shikari

Pubbie

• Guest.Veteran
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 08:34 PM

Yep, x3 24" LCD monitors, connected to AMD Radeon HD 7950 :)

Posted Image
Posted Image

#34 Obe-Wan Kenobi

Obe-Wan Kenobi

HR Director

• Director
  • 720 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 09:26 PM

That's awesome. My card supports Eyefinity, but I'm a bad and have two different monitors, and my TV hooked up as my third (works great for downloaded TV episodes lol). Because they're not the same, I haven't messed around with Eyefinity, but it's awesome to see it work like that!
Posted Image

#35 Rhistuul

Rhistuul

PWWNy

• PWWNy
  • 392 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 06 August 2013 - 04:29 AM

Metal as fuck. Nice.

UvUm5gs.png

#36 Yakumo Chidori

Yakumo Chidori

On an extended EVE break

• Guest.Validating
  • 4,734 posts
  • LocationThe Fatherland

Posted 06 August 2013 - 06:41 AM

So, any tips on LED monitors in the 24'' size? Because those will actually be the first thing I buy, new PC perhaps early next year.

CzWTkU4.png

#37 Chaos Shikari

Chaos Shikari

Pubbie

• Guest.Veteran
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 08:54 AM

Erm, same monitors are a must, you don't want 1 running better spec than the other 2, if you don't want to wall mount them, you can get a desk mount which holds all three, I think amazon do some nice ones, apart from that, Nvidia and AMD's software goes through the steps clearly and can even change the bezel to help if you purchase monitors with thick edges

Posted Image
Posted Image

#38 Yakumo Chidori

Yakumo Chidori

On an extended EVE break

• Guest.Validating
  • 4,734 posts
  • LocationThe Fatherland

Posted 06 August 2013 - 09:10 AM

Erm, same monitors are a must, you don't want 1 running better spec than the other 2, if you don't want to wall mount them, you can get a desk mount which holds all three, I think amazon do some nice ones, apart from that, Nvidia and AMD's software goes through the steps clearly and can even change the bezel to help if you purchase monitors with thick edges

Heh, of course, otherwise I would just add one to my old and trusty 4:3 19''... :P

Was thinking more along the lines of what producers, like Dell, Acer, LG, Samsung etc.

A central stand for 3 does certainly sound like a plan though.

This one looks great and stable, although it's expensive: http://www.amazon.de...s=monitor stand

Cheaper version, but looks not quite as great: http://www.amazon.de..._cp_computers_3

Desk clamps? No, I don't quite like those...: http://www.amazon.de..._cp_computers_0

CzWTkU4.png

#39 Chaos Shikari

Chaos Shikari

Pubbie

• Guest.Veteran
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 09:48 AM

No, I tried the desk clamp before, and didn't sit right... However many times I tried, LG, BenQ, Dell are all good brands to go for

Posted Image
Posted Image

#40 Rhistuul

Rhistuul

PWWNy

• PWWNy
  • 392 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 06 August 2013 - 11:14 PM

I have been using ViewSonics for years. They are by no means amazing but they're quite decent for the price. I believe I currently run dual 27s on a raised desk-clamp mount with those adjustable spring-arm things. Got it from Amazon.

Dual monitor Eve is pretty great eye candy-wise, since garbage like chat windows and inventory and fleet stuff can hide over on the far monitor and I can actually see ships. I just wish I could run a maximized Eve client across both monitors in giant fleet fights, but sadly my PC ain't beef enough for that.

UvUm5gs.png

Reply to this topic