#21 Yakumo Chidori

Yakumo Chidori

On an extended EVE break

• Guest.Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,734 posts
  • LocationThe Fatherland

Posted 04 September 2013 - 07:18 AM

Soooooooooooooooooooooooooo, after all the hype I am starting to read some very negative reviews, things about having to wait for ages after clicking End Turn, a rather badly implemented strategic map and boring as well as buggy tactical fights...

CzWTkU4.png

#22 Dave Orilian

Dave Orilian

HR Manager

• Guest.Veteran
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 01:58 AM

Lol reviews are 86% aggregated http://www.gameranki...e-ii/index.html

I think some people hyped it up to something it could never be but I'm absolutely loving it so far. It's like a Roman game of thrones but with epic battles :)

The long wait after end turn may be because of the LOADS of factions at the start but 90% are hidden by fog of war and by the time you expand to see them a load have been destroyed.

The in battle strategic map really helps get a quick overview for things like large city battles and (especially oh god) heavily wooded battles but really it's for 'at a glance' why would you fight a battle with squares vs actual units?!

As for the tactical battles the AI is much improved and more aggressive, it doesn't just sit there taking facefulls of arrows if you're the aggressor and will constantly try to flank and counter your in combat units. But I guess people started out with the difficulty on easy so no wonder it's boring for them (hard or gtfo).

As yet I haven't seen any bugs after 16 hours of play apart from a crash or 2 but it auto saves every turn so NBD and these will be fixed in the patch this Friday.

The one thing I will agree on is that combat is way too fast. You charge your infantry into an infantry unit and after 15-20 seconds someone's usually routing. It's also waaaay too easy for units to gain experience. With a Veteran (passively trains units) in one army it got to lvl1 gold rank after 5 battles whereas gold rank should be very late game.

These things will hopefuly get fixed by CA who have a large budget for post-launch updates (they say there'll be weekly updates based on forum feedback first patch being this Friday) or through the inevitable wave of mods and if it causes you such a problem the campaign map is so deep and intricate now you could just auto resolve most battles and go all Civilization on it's ass

Tl;dr after playing all Toal Wars including expansions since Rome 1 I'd rate it 8/10 (9/10 if they slow down combat)

*Interesitng fact* This is the only total war not to feature any form of prostitution, we've had Geisha, medieval brothels, pleasure gardens, courtesans and temples of Venus. Unless some barbarian/ eastern faction I haven't played yet has it

#23 Yakumo Chidori

Yakumo Chidori

On an extended EVE break

• Guest.Validating
  • 4,734 posts
  • LocationThe Fatherland

Posted 05 September 2013 - 06:53 AM

What? No more "build a Geisha, lolhelicopterdick yourself to victory as you just happily go along assassinating every leader and their offspring until the whole map is filled with barbarian states and you win by default"?

Also people remember the good old times when games were properly beta-tested and patches were applied BEFORE a half finished game was released to the wider public and there was no NEED for huge post-launch budgets? :P

Well anyway, guess I am going to wait a while then until it is actually patched up and what I call release ready until I get it myself (still planing to, but I am a cynical bastard and cannot be bothered with not completely developed games). ;)

CzWTkU4.png

#24 Studentay

Studentay

PWWNy

• Guest.Veteran
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 08:48 PM

Glad to see some positivity on it. It's still on sale prices on steam @ £30 so looks like sales haven't been as good as expected. I've played em all and love em so will pick it up anyway. World domination awaits!!
MILF muzak :somuchpony:
Hexfalion: stupid boattruck
ELA Riald: What the fuck is a boattruck?
Yornic: It's a banana that's shaped like a cheesepuff that tastes like motor oil

#25 Dave Orilian

Dave Orilian

HR Manager

• Guest.Veteran
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 01:57 AM

It's still on sale prices on steam @ £30 so looks like sales haven't been as good as expected.

Hahaha it sold 6x more preorders than any prior total war. It's been on 'sale' since it first appeared on steam a few months ago but it's not a sale, it's the same price everywhere just not 'on sale'

#26 Maleg Yanumano

Maleg Yanumano

All Southerners Sound Alike

• Guest.Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 06 September 2013 - 07:01 AM

it's the same price everywhere just not 'on sale'

Not sure that's true, in Europe (or well at least the Netherlands) it was significantly more expensive on Steam other online shops, in fact I bought a copy on UK steam and gifted it because it worked out 10 - 15 euro's cheaper for him. Think either Amazon UK or somebody else had it up for £30 which forced everybody else to drop prices.

This seems to be one of the rare times where the UK actually got the better end of the bargin.

Posted Image

#27 Yakumo Chidori

Yakumo Chidori

On an extended EVE break

• Guest.Validating
  • 4,734 posts
  • LocationThe Fatherland

Posted 06 September 2013 - 07:45 AM

Steam The Fatherland: 54,99 € = 46.26 Pound = 72.20 $.

Amazon The Fatherland: 48,99 € = 41.22 Pound = 64.32 $-

So fuck all that shit. And fuck you in your communistic countries.

CzWTkU4.png

#28 Maleg Yanumano

Maleg Yanumano

All Southerners Sound Alike

• Guest.Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 06 September 2013 - 07:55 AM

Steam The Fatherland: 54,99 € = 46.26 Pound = 72.20 $.

Amazon The Fatherland: 48,99 € = 41.22 Pound = 64.32 $-

So fuck all that shit. And fuck you in your communistic countries.

Well if you ever want a copy don't mind buying and gifting and you can transfer me the balance.

Posted Image

#29 Yakumo Chidori

Yakumo Chidori

On an extended EVE break

• Guest.Validating
  • 4,734 posts
  • LocationThe Fatherland

Posted 06 September 2013 - 08:57 AM

Well if you ever want a copy don't mind buying and gifting and you can transfer me the balance.

Thanks for the offer. Still gonna wait a while though until there have been quite a few patches. ;)

CzWTkU4.png

#30 Gennosuke Kouga

Gennosuke Kouga

Worse Than Mint At Spelling

• Guest.Veteran
  • 788 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 07:20 PM

^^ same
Posted Image

#31 Dave Orilian

Dave Orilian

HR Manager

• Guest.Veteran
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 01:59 PM

Second big fix patch coming early next week, full patch notes here

http://www.ibtimes.c...eleased-1405440

Also: 'Reduced infantry run speed, charge speed and acceleration in battles.'

Thank god for that :)

#32 Dave Orilian

Dave Orilian

HR Manager

• Guest.Veteran
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 02:51 PM

third patch about to be released, all issues I had with it are now fixed ie. units move slower, all units have more health so combat is no longer stupidly fast, AI and pathfinding is MUCH better, rebalancing of units + unit costs means rome is no longer OP: http://wiki.totalwar...OME_II:_Patch_3

#33 Cedric deBouilard

Cedric deBouilard

Kim Jong Il of PWWN EU TZ

• Guest.Veteran
  • 620 posts
  • LocationTurkey / Istanbul

Posted 28 September 2013 - 06:48 PM

oh gods, thanks for that final patch.

The game may finally look like a finished (albeit a less polished) product than a Beta

Posted Image

#34 Theodoric Darkwind

Theodoric Darkwind

Xenaria's Worse Half

• Guest.Veteran
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,850 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 03:49 AM

What? No more "build a Geisha, lolhelicopterdick yourself to victory as you just happily go along assassinating every leader and their offspring until the whole map is filled with barbarian states and you win by default"?

That sounds familiar ... that is pretty much how I played through the original Shogun: TW. And lets not forget the advantage of being able to play defense until the dutch showed up so you could get guns and still be able to keep your warrior priests allowing you to roflstomp everything.

Also 50% off on steam today, finally decided to pick it up for 29.99 USD.

Posted Image

Reply to this topic