12 replies to this topic

#1 Cadune Amilion

Cadune Amilion

Ex-CEO

• Guest.Veteran
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,306 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 12:00 PM

Anyone playing Xcom? its got good reviews and a couple of my friends say its good.

#2 Thabink

Thabink

PWWNy

• PWWNy
  • 483 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 01:59 PM

Got it 2 days ago. I like it, but I'm a massive fanboy of the original.

It's more of a fire fight and less of a bug hunt than the original. Soldiers are tougher compared to weapons, so a lucky heavy plasma shot from the shadows won't instakill your prize sniper like it used to. Your soldiers have less customisation of their equipment (one weapon, one pistol, one utility device like a grenade or medkit) but this is mostly made up for by choosing different abilities for your soldiers as they level up. Control is simpler, with only 6 soldiers to deal with, and having 2 "actions", which can be spent moving, firing, reloading etc, rather than the Time Units of old.

There's a storyline, with characters and video sequences when you complete important strategic objectives, which gives the strategic section more atmosphere.

Downsides are that the enemy AI (that I've seen so far at Normal difficulty anyway) hasn't been particularly challenging. Enemy groups don't "activate" until you see them, so you pretty much always have the initiative and the aliens won't gang up on you unless you rampage around the map aggroing loads of groups at once. They rarely try to flank me except when I present them with an easy opportunity to do so.

Other annoyances are that sometimes things are dumbed down such that very sensible things are impossible, like when my medic got shot and was bleeding out and there's no way to get another soldier to pick up his medkit and use it on him, nope, they were issued a grenade so they can't possibly pick up the medkit at their feet.

#3 Studentay

Studentay

PWWNy

• Guest.Veteran
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 03:01 PM

Have bought it & will play when I get a chance. There's a lot of crying from the Uni carebears that you can't set up highly lucrative weapon sales to make your billions but as I've not played this or the original I don't really know if money is a big game changer :wacko:
MILF muzak :somuchpony:
Hexfalion: stupid boattruck
ELA Riald: What the fuck is a boattruck?
Yornic: It's a banana that's shaped like a cheesepuff that tastes like motor oil

#4 Thabink

Thabink

PWWNy

• PWWNy
  • 483 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 10:38 AM

Restarted on Classic. Much happier with the challenge level, but very glad I'm not doing Ironman, because I'd have serious blood pressure problems by now if I hadn't been able to reload when some bullshit like missing 6 70% shots in a row gets half my squad killed. Had to change tactics quite a bit, because the aliens are now very accurate at medium range. Between that accuracy and the 1 less base HP your soldiers get its very easy to lose soldiers if you leave *any* aliens up at the end of your turn. As such, I've fallen in love with the (almost) guaranteed kills that rockets and grenades give you.

Meh, while the mass production of medkits for money in the first game was very silly, the economy in this game is a bit of a weak point. On Classic to control global panic levels you basically need to build a satellite uplink every month. The satellites, uplinks, generators to power them and workshops for the required number of engineers pretty much takes your entire budget each month. I was running with 4 soldiers in basic armor until month 3 because (even with selling stuff on the gray market) I had no disposable cash to buy an OTS. Now in month 5 I seem to have got it under control, but your dire starting financial situation is a bit ridiculous.

#5 Viona Cesaille

Viona Cesaille

PWWNy

• Guest.Veteran
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 04:33 PM

The hardest part of this game is like the first few months, it get easier and easier later on...
Wheeeeee~

#6 Donsig

Donsig

Former PWWNy

• PWWNy
  • 428 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 04:37 PM

...the first few months...

What?! I'm not intending to play a single player game for months on end, if I get slaughtered every day.

#7 XanthViper Ambraelle

XanthViper Ambraelle

CCP Manifest

• Administrator
  • 1,020 posts
  • LocationVail, AZ

Posted 20 June 2013 - 04:58 PM

I will be playing the newer more awesome XCOM when it comes out: http://joystickwidow.com/h/2029

Posted Image
Chowder 1::2

#8 Maleg Yanumano

Maleg Yanumano

All Southerners Sound Alike

• Guest.Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 13 November 2013 - 09:35 AM

So the new expansion XCOM: Enemy Within is released (now in the US, new few days in the EU). I managed to get hold of it on the US release and it transforms the game. If you like XCOM: Enemy Unknown then you'll love the expansion. Adds a ton of depth to the game, maps are awesome.

Currently playing Normal difficulty (Ironman) with a lot of the second wave options enabled. Already had to restart once to getting owned. Second run through is looking shaky also. No other game will take your favourite characters and mash them through a meat grinder.

Posted Image

#9 Rhistuul

Rhistuul

PWWNy

• PWWNy
  • 392 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 13 November 2013 - 02:19 PM

So good. MEC troopers are awesome.

XCOM absolutely must be played on Ironman mode or it just doesn't feel like XCOM.

UvUm5gs.png

#10 Maleg Yanumano

Maleg Yanumano

All Southerners Sound Alike

• Guest.Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 13 November 2013 - 04:11 PM

Starting my 3rd attempt now, was doing really well then couple of key guys injured, combined with another in the Lab having cybernetic upgrades and a base invasion = Game Over, game over man!!!

Posted Image

#11 Cadune Amilion

Cadune Amilion

Ex-CEO

• Guest.Veteran
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,306 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 04:40 PM

Damn you guys I'm gonna have to buy his now!

#12 Thabink

Thabink

PWWNy

• PWWNy
  • 483 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 12:42 PM

Currently giving this a new lease of life with the Long War mod. Adds a lot more complexity, makes it a lot tougher and randomises things up a lot rather than the semi-scripted path the original takes.

Disclaimer: I accept no responsibility for loss of sanity due to encountering 20 foot tall Chryssalids.

#13 Studentay

Studentay

PWWNy

• Guest.Veteran
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 08:15 PM

Oh nice. Will have to check it out as still loving Xcom.
MILF muzak :somuchpony:
Hexfalion: stupid boattruck
ELA Riald: What the fuck is a boattruck?
Yornic: It's a banana that's shaped like a cheesepuff that tastes like motor oil

Reply to this topic