[Jester's Trek] Kill of the Week: Cash out

No replies to this topic

#1 Guest

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 10:04 PM

Once again I'm going to go with something a little fun and goofy for KOTW:
http://eve-kill.net/...kll_id=14313421

After I wrote my post last week about faction warfare, I realized that I had forgotten to mention the process or the need for "cashing out."  So it was probably fate that while I was looking for a good KOTW this week, this little hauler kill-mail fell into my hands.  It's just a lovely demonstration of cashing out and the repercussions thereof.

Once you've run hundreds of faction warfare sites and built up anywhere from 10000 to 25000 LP per site, eventually you'll want to convert that LP into ISK.  The simplest way is to buy implants, usually +3 and +4 attribute implants which sell relatively quickly and for good prices.  Still, an alternative method is to purchase ship blueprints, which is what this individual did.  The blueprints are quite valuable commodities for both PvPers and PvEers.

In this case, this person bought five each of Apoc Navy Issue and Omen Navy Issue BPCs, plus nearly 100 Imperial Navy Slicer BPCs.  The kill-mail reports all of those BPCs as being worth 0 ISK, but I assure you that isn't the case.  ;-)  Purchased from mission LP stores, this represents nearly 12 million LP.  If you've got good Social skills, that's about 2500 level 4 missions.

However, one of the quirks of faction war is that if one side or the other captures a lot of the systems involved in the war and spends LP to upgrade them, the "tier" of their rewards increases.  As the tier increases, the cost of items purchased in the LP store is reduced drastically.  Suddenly a 500,000 LP battleship BPC only costs 125,000 LP, or even 62,500 LP.

This is the thing that makes FW sites so profitable.  FW stores are a sink because there's also an ISK cost associated with most of the items you buy there.  But you can time your purchases for when the tier is the right level.  That's when it's time to go cash out: you buy your BPCs for substantially less ISK than their market value and then profit on the difference.  Word has it that Nulli Secunda decided to cash out of the Amarr militia this past weekend, which is why you see all these Amarr BPCs in this kill-mail.  This was the profit of many days or perhaps even a few weeks of sites run by someone, followed by substantial effort on Nulli Secunda's part to flip a lot of FW Infrastructure Hubs in boring structure shoots.  From what I saw, the Amarr side of this conflict pushed to tier 4, which isn't the maximum, but is quite good enough for substantial profits from cashing out.  Bei is in high-sec about ten jumps from Jita where this person was caught by a suicide ganker.

This person has also bought datacores, which I believe are exclusively available in the militia LP stores.  In this case, Nanite Engineering datacores are far and away the most valuable right now.(1)  Those datacores also represented both a sizable ISK investment (each stack of datacores has to be purchased with both ISK and LP).  So that's where the four billion ISK associated with this loss came from.

So... yeah.  This was a pretty substantial loss.  Do I need to mention again that you shouldn't pile this many valuables into a tech 1 hauler?  I guess I don't.  ;-)

Good kill, mighty1!

(1) I just cashed out a large stock of these myself, though mine came from Research Agents.

http://jestertrek.bl...k-cash-out.html

Reply to this topic