Now Recruiting!

Photo

[Jester's Trek] Bonus Fit of the Week: PODLA Drake

No replies to this topic

#1 Guest

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 03:37 AM

So, the real Fit of the Week will be tomorrow, I think.  But to talk about the real one, I'll have to talk briefly about this one:

[Drake, PODLA Drake II]
Damage Control II
Nanofiber Internal Structure II
Ballistic Control System II
Ballistic Control System II

Experimental 10MN MicroWarpdrive I
Warp Disruptor II
Stasis Webifier II
Stasis Webifier II
Large Shield Extender II
Adaptive Invulnerability Field II

Heavy Missile Launcher II, Scourge Fury Heavy Missile
Small Energy Neutralizer II

Medium Polycarbon Engine Housing I
Medium Core Defense Field Extender I
Medium Core Defense Field Extender I

Warrior II x5

The Drake has been a FOTW twice, most recently back in March when I talked about the "vanilla Drake".  This one is more mocha.  Considered an invention of Hydra Reloaded, this Drake puts aside the traditional Drake strength of tank in exchange for heavy duty tackle.  Shield HP drops to 13000 and the resists are pretty sub-par.  In particular, you've got kind of a nasty EM hole, so watch out for Oracles in particular.  Still, part of the strength of this fit is that you're hiding in plain sight.  After all, who's going to primary a Drake if there's anything else around?

That gives you a bit of freedom to do some unusual things: like double-web targets the fleet is attacking.  In some ways, this is a direct benefit for your 400 DPS.  Since your target is likely to be webbed, that will make your missiles hit that much harder.  A Polycarb rig and a Nanofiber low serves two functions.  First, they increase overheated speed to 1685m/s, which is great for a heavy tackler.  Second, they decrease alignment speed to 6.4 seconds.  In both cases, the intent is obviously to get on the tackle target as quickly as possible.

As a secondary benefit, though, the PODLA Drake is also a great skirmisher thanks to the extra speed.  If you're not webbing down the primary, the webs in this scenario do a terrific job of slowing down tacklers coming after your fleet.  The neut, likewise, is defensive and intended to be used against tacklers.  PODLA Drakes, like standard Drakes, traditionally use Warriors for extra DPS.  Carry extra Nanite Repair Paste: you'll be overheating more than the typical Drake.  And carry some Synth Crash to increase your HML damage still further, particularly against tacklers.

Other than that, there isn't much to say.  You can find more information about basic Drake tactics in the post above.  But remember, your key role in this particular is tackling.  So don't be afraid to get a little closer to targets than you're used to in a vanilla Drake.

Tackle safe!

All Fits of the Week are intended as general guidelines only.  You may not have the skills needed for this exact fit.  If you do not, feel free to adjust the fit to suit to meet your skills, including using meta 3 guns and "best named" defenses and e-war.  Ships can also be adjusted to use faction or dead-space modules depending on the budget of the pilot flying it.  Each FOTW is intended as a general guide to introduce you to concepts that will help you fit and to fly that particular type of ship more aggressively and well.

http://jestertrek.bl...odla-drake.html

Reply to this topic